History of the Church

History of the Church

Timeline

1857 - First recordings of Catholics in the Algona area.

The Spirit of the Church

1872 - The first church of St. Cecelia was built.

The First Church

The Vagabond Church

1880 - First Resident Priest, Father McCaffrey, stationed in Algona.

1884 - The south half (or old part) of Calvary Cemetery deeded to Denis McCaffrey.

1887 - June - Calvary Cemetery land deeded to John Hennessy, Bishop of Dubuque.

1892 - July - The second St. Cecelia Church was built.

The Second St. Cecelia's

1894 - June- Dedication of the second St. Cecelia Church.

Parish Life in the 1900's

1913 - May - Calvary Cemetery land deeded to St. Cecelia's Roman Catholic Church.

Calvary Cemetery

1923 - January - The North half (or new part) of Calvary Cemetery deeded.

Building the Rectory

1927 - The Academy (now Seton School) was built.

St. Cecelia Academy

1928 - Rectory Addition

1930 - October - The Golden Jubilee of the parish. The Rectory was built.

1932 - First class graduated from St. Cecelia Academy

1948-1951 - Construction and dedication of the Convent.

1948 - October - St. Ann Hospital built.

St. Ann's Hospital

1953 - March - Construction of the present St. Cecelia Church began.

The Demise of St. Cecelia's II

The New St. Cecelia's

The Church Windows

1954 - September - Dedication of the new church.

1959 - Garrigan High School was built.

Garrigan High School

1967 - September - St. Ann's ownership transferred to the Sisters of St. Benedict of Madison, Wisc.

1972 - January - St. Ann's ownership transferred to Kossuth County and renamed Kossuth County Hospital.

1976 - Rectory addition constructed.

1979 - July - A tornado hits Algona causing $25 million in damage. Many lost homes, businesses and loved ones.

            October - Pope John Paul II visits Iowa

Perpetual Adoration Chapel

2002 - 2002 Renovation